Re: Debian install

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: Debian install - thanks
Subject: Re: Debian install
After a long battle with technology, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I'm thinking of trying out Debian and looking at their web site I find
> multiple iso files. Three for DVDs and a whole load if you want CDs. Are
> these stand alone images or are all of them needed for a full install ?

There are *A LOT* of Debian packages, so many that they don't fit on a single
DVD. If you have a reasonably fast Net drop, what you should do is get the
Debian net-install CD. That's a relatively small ISO that includes only the
most basic tools--everything else you install is downloaded from the Debian
mirrors when you "apt-get install $FOO" or use aptitude or use tasksel.
You'd only download the full CD/DVD collection if you had to install Debian
on a box with no Net or extremely pitiful Net. HTH,

--
207. The following are not legal weapons in a duel: Steamrollers,
Nerve Gas, Land Mines, Midgets.