Re: Debian install

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Debian install
Am 10. Mar, 2008 schwätzte Anthony Boynes so:

> All of a set is needed. Debian includes a lot of packages in theirr
> DVD/CD sets, most of which you will probably never have a need for.
> You will be prompted for each disc which is required, based on your
> choice of applications, during the install.

Unless things have changed[0] the Debian installer doesn't know about
disks you don't have and will pull things down from Debian repositories.
In other words, it'll use the other disks if you have them and let the
installer know you have them, otherwise it'll use Debian's package
repositories.

All Debian needs is to get booted and install the base system from the
initial ISO.

> I actually prefer using the minimal boot CD for Debian now. You just
> pull the packages you need without having to have a full set of
> install discs.

You shouldn't need the full set if you have access to the Internet from
the new install. The minimal bood CD is smaller to begin with, so there's
a potential[1] advantage there.

> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

[0] The nice thing about Debian is that once you install it you can just
do upgrades. I don't actually do installs very often, generally only when
helping people or maybe when I buy a new computer.

[1] Depends on your particular situation as to whether or not it's an
advantage.

ciao,

der.hans
#  C'est la Net - der.hans