Re: Ubuntu and Dell

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Dell
From: "Eric \"Shubes\"" <>
> Anyone been to the Ubuntu home page lately? It's sporting Dell desktop and
> notebooks which come with Ubuntu preloaded (and certified).

"Dude! They've SOLD OUT! Bummer, man! I was using Ubuntu *before* it
was mainstream! Their early CDs were, like, really something...."
*cough*

Actually, this is a good thing. The main problem comes when users see
"certified" and think "that means no problems will happen, ever", then
get disenchanted.

> Could this be the long-awaited year of the Linux desktop?

Could be. (It could also be the long-awaited Year of the Honest
Politician, but I'm not holding my breath.) One large problem is that
Microsoft has tens of millions of $ to spend on shiny marketing
campaigns, and Ubuntu doesn't. Another problem is that Ubuntu, for all
its niftiness, is not Windows, and a bunch of users will have a problem
with that. But this is a step in the right direction, I think.