Re: services

+ smime.p7s (application/pkcs7-signature)
+ PGP.sig (application/pgp-signature)
Author: David Bendit
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: services
In Debian, startup scripts are stored in /etc/init.d, and managing
which start and stop at what points in which runlevels is
accomplished by symlinks to those scripts within the /etc/rc*.d
directories. While you could manage these by hand, Debian comes with
a few great utilities to manage these services.

First off, check /etc/defaults for configuration files for the
services you're interested in. Most will have a simple on/off switch
that you can use to disable the service.

If that's not the case, you'll need to use update-rc.d . To remove a
service, use the command: update-rc.d -f <script> remove
Replace <script> with the name of the startup script in /etc/init.d .
If you need to add it back at a later time, you can do so with:
update-rc.d <script> defaults . There is more granular control
available, such as which runlevels to start and stop on, and where
within these runlevels to do so, but for the vast majority of cases,
you won't need to use these. If you need help with the syntax, just
run the program without arguments, or check the manpage.

-David Bendit