Re: services

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: services
From: Michael Havens <>
> how does one turn off unneeded stuff in debian?

"man update-rc.d" says "update-rc.d $FOO remove" will prevent $FOO
from starting on boot. The man page has a warning or 2 in it that
you should read, though.

> Below is a list of services that were turned on by default that I have

turned
> off.
>     * acpid: unnecessary power management

? Most modern laptops require ACPI for power-management events (lid close,
lid
open, on AC power, off AC power, etc.)

>     * gpm: some kind of clipboard handler

Actually, this is the virtual console mouse support. It isn't necessary
unless you spend a lot of time on virtual consoles, at which point it becomes
really useful.

>     * netfs: Network file system mounter - unneeded if you're not on a LAN

A machine that isn't on a network of some type? Um. Wow.

>     * readahead_early: Program preloader. How do you know what programs I'm

> gonna use!?

Magic :-] .

>     * sshd: Permits secure shell login - security risk

ssh is probably more secure than most things.