Thunderbird won't send -- also bad type font

Author: Josef Lowder
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Thunderbird won't send -- also bad type font
.
Just installed Thunderbird and am not able to send email.
I can receive, but not send. As far as I can tell, all the
account settings are correct (same as on my other computer),
but cannot get it to send a test email.

Also

The text-font in the message body is way too small and a
different font (very hard to read) than in the "To" "From"
and "Subject" fields. How do I make them the same? I've
turned off HTML and tried different sets in "view" without
success.

I've tried searching the Thunderbird forum but can't find
any help.