Re: Tape Backup

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Tape Backup
Am 21. Apr, 2007 schwätzte so:

> Does anyone know of an inexpensive tape backup that works with Linux?
> Preferably external and USB. Speed isn't important, but backups are.

For home setups tapes can be quite epensive. 60GB to thumb drives is
probably more expensive :).

Several hard drives that connect via USB and then get stored well is a
possibility. As is off-site, but on-line storage. Backing up 60 GB over a
network connection will be hard the first time, but after that keeping the
remote repository in sync should be viable.

Use sneaker net for the initial transfer to save time.

I don't know what the current state of tape backup us. The Linux Tape
Certification Program is probably a good place to start looking for
information.

http://www.linuxtapecert.org/

> I'm looking to backup my home "server" and using another drive just
> doesn't appeal to me. I also don't want to use DVD's as it seems like I
> would be using about 10+.
>
> I have about 50GB - 60GB of data to back up.

A half-dozen 60 GB drives would likely be less than getting a tape setup.

I just went to look and 250GB drives are $70.

Wow, tape prices have really dropped. Tapes for less than $10. Drives are
still $300, so it's not cheap like DVD.

I see they've gotten even worse about claiming the compressed capacity as
the normal capacity :(. If you're backing up binary data such as pictures,
programs, libraries, music and video you won't get much compression as the
files are already compressed. Text will compress quite nicely, though.

ciao,

der.hans
# To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember
# how many times i said to myself "i can do that?" -- BoBB