Re: How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

Author: vodhner@cox.net
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: George Toft, Mark Phillips
Subject: Re: How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?
Hi, Mark.

---- Mark Phillips <> wrote:
> Could someone help me verify that the entire hard drive was copied?

You can use something like this to check your saved image file:

gunzip -c filename.gz | md5sum

The result should match the result of the volume you mirrored:

md5sum /dev/hda1

Again, hda1 should not be mounted, and should not have been modified at all since you did the mirroring. Unless you thought ahead and took the sum before you began. :-)

There are various refinements in the use of md5sum, but I think what I presented would suffice.

Vic