Accelerated Open Source OpenGL in Linux WAS RIP: Linux Commu…

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Accelerated Open Source OpenGL in Linux WAS RIP: Linux Community (1991-2007)
Darrin Chandler wrote:

> Having all this wonderful free software is great until you start
> mangling it with proprietary stuff. It seems ok now, but it WILL get
> worse. That's the normal way that freedoms are eroded - trading a little
> temporary convenience for essential freedoms (to paraphrase a much
> better quote).

<rant>
I liked being able to tell people that if Linux doesn't work out of the
box on your hardware, it's not going to. Now I have to say, "well, we
can look for drivers and see if it will work." Which is even worse than
the windows driver model bc there may not be a working driver.
</rant>

But as someone who likes being able to actually use the accelerated
OpenGL hardware in my machine I have to ask:

Is there a viable open source driver for any commercially viable video
hardware that will give me hardware accelerated OpenGL? (Intel
announced open sourcing it's video stuff recently. anyone use it?)

It doesn't have to be the fastest and best performance available--but I
want accelerated OpenGL and NO it's not for playing games.

Until I can answer that question I have no choice but to use proprietary
nvidia (or whatever) drivers on my system.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.