Sun Ultra 10

Author: fouldragon@aol.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Sun Ultra 10
So today I grabbed one of these cute boxes at ASU surplus (it was
sitting there, unguarded, with the notation "1Gb RAM, $10", how could I
resist? :D)

When it boots, it announces it's setting output to ttya because there's
no keyboard (damn Sun... why can't they use PS/2 keyboards like SGI
did?)

So I hook my old dumb terminal (C.Itoh CIT-101) to ttya. I see nothing
on the screen. Regular passthrough cable.

Some sites suggest I need to use a null modem cable
(http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Unix/Solaris/SOLARIS_UsingSerialConsol
es.shtml) but these sites also insinuate ttya is a DB9 when it is in
fact a DB25. :/

It's possible that the cable's bad, but can anyone confirm it needs to
be a null-modem one before I bother fiddling around with rewiring the
cable (it's the kind you can open the ends and rewire the leads.

Now, of course, the hard disc was pulled. Will there be any issues
with using a standard PC-pulled IDE drive, or any other prep required?
Or is it just "insert the Solaris/*BSD/Linux CD, boot from CD, pray"?

Since honestly, I have no good application aside from "WOW! I remember
seeing machines like that when I went to see the tour of a now-defunct
dotcom!", the only real thing I'd like to do on it is run a real
"commercial Unix feel" desktop like CDE (no, XFCE is NOT good enough)
with the modern nicities like Firefox and a post-0.91 version of GIMP.

If I can't find a good use for it, are there any parts with decent
second-uses on regular x86 boxes?

The RAM I coveted is (cry) 50ns FPM or something...

There's an interesting card in PCI slot 2: Looks like SCSI+Ethernet...
can it be enjoyed on an x86?