Re: brochure project -- draft idea revised

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: brochure project -- draft idea revised
Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:34:04 -0700, Kevin Brown wrote
>> Actually they have to go after the infringement even if they lose
>> to prove that they are working to protect the trademark. Search
>> Slashdot and you'll find a story where Intel lawyers went after
>> someone for using the phrase Yoga Inside.
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/30/032251
>
> Thanks for the link to this article, Kevin.
>
> I especially enjoyed these comments in the cited article:
> "... In proceedings bordering on the line of frivolity ..."
> and "Look at the meaning of "Inside" that the YIF is
> referring to, and the story gets even more absurd."
>
> The end of this silly game (in which ambulance chasing lawyers
> are almost *always* the *only* winners) is that the Yoga Inside
> Foundation simply changed their name to "Yoga on the Inside" with
> about the tiniest point size possible for the words "on the" and
> a giant capital "I" on "Inside."
>
> Notice that the provisions of the ludicrous "Federal Trademark
> Dilution Act of 1995" (which is actually just another lawyer ploy
> in which the end game is almost exclusively to fabricate more
> revenue producing opportunities for lawyers) is the following:
> "In most cases, the only remedy available under the Dilution Act
> is an injunction against further dilution."
>
> So, in this current issue, the worst-case scenario would not
> be a lawsuit anyway, but merely an annoyingly threatening letter
> in which Intel's lawyers would use fancy language to demand
> "cease and desist." And then, based on the established precedent,
> one could simply insert the words "on the" in microscopic type,
> blank out the "R," and adjust the shape of the swoosh a little.
>
> Therefore, in conclusion, let us quote Shakespeare, twice:
>
> "Much ado about nothing .."
>
> -and-
>
> "First thing let's do, let's kill all the lawyers."
>

> Fortunately, free is still free in this great country,
> including freedom of speech ... (especially for those of us
> who have no significant amount of money for the lawyers to
> waste their time going after).

I think the "R" still needs to be blanked out, as it's not registered.

Here's what I'd like to see:
.) Ditch the column 2 logo. Possibly use PLUG logo instead.
.) On the cover logo, blank out (fill in) "R", and change lettering from
"Linux Inside" to "Come Outside". This suggests an action instead of a state
(and avoids this rather fruitless discussion).

--
-Eric 'shubes'