Re: PLUG site incident last night

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: PLUG site incident last night
It uses the tuntap interface... which (without a simple modification
of kernel source) is limited to 8 or 9 IP addresses. I've modified
the kernel to support more once when I needed 12+ interfaces.
what do you mean by "Actualization"? It's slow at disk access at
times but it's great for light duty servers like web servers and samba
servers.
You start it up with a certain allocation of memory. I use tmpfs to
speed up the disk access. It's not mature enough to replace
heavy-hitter servers yet, IMHO. I have a 2 proc Xeon server with 8gb
ram and 6 scsi disks in a raid5 array, and things ran semi-decently
with all of the instances operational. (like 13 or so)
Would i recommend someone relying on it for production machines in a
mission critical envionment? Not really. That being said, my
production corporate web-server runs user-mode-linux and has for the
past year.