Re: Microphone recording problem - Partial Solution

Author: Nathan Aubrey
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Microphone recording problem - Partial Solution
On Friday 29 December 2006 00:52, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Alan Dayley wrote:
> > I don't have those options. That coupled with the absence of a second
> > microphone control, and these issues, makes me think the sound driver
> > for this hardware is not quite right. I'll have to try the alsa project
> > next. Although alsa is used from the command line too so maybe KDE is
> > to blame?
>
> I got in touch with someone close or part of the ALSA team via
> linuxquestions.org (Excellent site!). We went back and forth a bit
> reaching the following conclusions and results:
>
> - My sound system is not explicitly supported by ALSA yet. The latest
> development version just added support for a similar Toshiba notebook.
> By downloading, building and installing the 1.0.14rc1 snapshot and then
> explicitly specifying "model=toshiba" the new drive improved things.
>
> - There is still the screech in KRecord but no longer in Audacity. (Huh?)
>
> - Audacity recordings are clean but playback 1/2 live speed. (Huh?) By
> applying a +100% speed effect, it sounds fine. Clumsy work-around but
> at least it is not screaming at me there.

Sounds to me like your mic system is capable of recording at 22.05hz only and
not 44.1. So the system is trying to record, but only getting 22.05 and when
you play back i t i s r e a l l y s l o w . . .

Try changing it so it records at 22.05 in the settings and see if that fixes
the play back.

nathan

> - The alsamixer and therefore KMix options now make more sense to match
> the hardware. Still no "mic boost" but I can disable the built-in mic,
> which is a good thing.
>
> - Communication via Skype is now good. I have not tried other VOIP type
> applications yet.
>
> I'm going to play around more with this as I take the time and have the
> need. Maybe I can do more debugging for the ALSA team to finally get it
> all ironed out.
>
> Alan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \

\___/ |_____| |_____/ |_______| |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >