Re: Drive Recovery Software

Author: George Toft
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Drive Recovery Software

Dazed_75 wrote:

> On 11/30/06, *Patrick Fleming, EA* <
> <mailto:plug@rwcinc.net>> wrote:

>     If you are just trying to copy the data from a failing drive to a good
>     drive, dd_rescue is a pretty decent tool. It's on Knoppix, should be on
>     other live cds. dd_rescue works even when dd fails.

> 1) Having never seen this I wondered if it worked differently than using
> the "noerror" option to dd which makes it not stop on errors. But then I
> presumed dd still writes an output block. Does anyone know if that is
> true?

This link says no:
http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2004/07/save_your_data_from_the_click.html

Comments

An alternative to dd_rescue
dd conv=noerror
lbruno | July 17, 2004 03:19 AM

An alternative to dd_rescue
Sorry, not really. dd with conv=noerror writes nothing in the image in
case of a bad block. Your image gets smaller and may be not mountable.
dd_rescue writes Zeros in the image. The size of your image becomes the
size of the partition.

HAND

Oliver
Sums | July 21, 2004

> 2) I was intriguged so loaded Knoppix 5 to look at it. There was no man
> page, but dd_rescue --help gave enough info to intrigue me. So I did a
> web search and found http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/ which is
> the author's site for it. I also found
> http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2004/07/save_your_data_from_the_click.html
> <http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2004/07/save_your_data_from_the_click.html>
> which mentions a front end for dd_rescue that sounds intriging.
> Unfortunately the link in the article does not work, but
> http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/download/index.en.html
> <http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/download/index.en.html> does
> work. NOTE: I have not tried this and have to run out for some errands
> now. Would love to hear from anyone who HAS tried it.

I stopped dd and am now using dd_rescue in reverse mode. It's cruising
along. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760