Re: Ubuntu vs. Apple [WAS: Re: Novel and Microsoft]

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu vs. Apple [WAS: Re: Novel and Microsoft]
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 22:16 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 12. Nov, 2006 schwätzte Joshua Zeidner so:
>
> > Macs are fairly popular, but the Mac crowd rarely intersects with the Linux
> > crowd. This is probably due to the fact that if someone could get linux
> > running, why would they buy a Mac?
>
> Hmmm, I find that there are lots of intersections.
>
> The local OS X group started off with several Free Software enthusiasts
> from PLUG. I know lots of sysadms who use a multitude of operating
> systems. Many of them are even Free Software enthusiasts.
>
> To some extent they use OSen other than GNU/Linux or *BSD due to job
> requirements, but some also just prefer to use them for one reason or
> another.

----
perhaps it started that way but I became very unpopular on the OS X
group (as a few on this list will recall), because I was unhappy with
the lack of interest, enthusiasm for free software on that list.

On that note, I will mention that I visited the Apple Store yesterday
with another dead Mac only to find out that the $99 'Pro Care' card no
longer affords the opportunity to simply drop off dead Macs without an
appointment at the 'Genius Bar'. If you pay the extortion fee for
expedited service, you still have to make an appointment so it appears
that the extortion fee is only meaningful once they accept your computer
for repairs...they will repair it before they repair the systems of
those who don't pay the fee.

On the service issue alone, Apple fails miserably...let me explain.

I have a client that is a advertising agency/public relations firm. They
are smart, they keep a spare computer for each division. On the
Macintosh, this means a rather software laden system with an extra copy
of Suitcase/Quark/Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat/etc. On Windows, this
means primarily Microsoft Office.

A power supply dies in each system (both under warranty).

On the Macintosh, I call Apple's Tech Support. Eventually, they get to
the point that they can't help me with my hardware problem and that I
should bring it to the Apple Store. We have a 'Pro Care' card for
priority service. I used to be able to drop it off and pick it up...not
any more. I have to call and make an appointment with a service tech 1 -
14 days depending upon prior appointments. Wait while the tech again
confirms that the problem is the power supply, sign the paperwork and
leave the computer there. Time 45 minutes not including travel time and
then I have to pick it up 1-3 days later when repaired.

On the Dell system, I call their tech support and they actually take my
word that the reason the system won't turn on is because the power
supply is dead and offer me the option of shipping the part alone, or
schedule a tech for the next day.

Some of these systems are going out of warranty (after 3 years, you
can't get warranty).

Apple cost for power supply replacement on Mirror-door G4 - $270
Dell cost for power supply replacement on Optiplex - $ 45

Apple has dampened all enthusiasm I ever had for them...I even sold my
Cube (which had surprisingly good resale value)

Craig