Re: Google Phoenix Update

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Technomage, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: Google Phoenix Update
On 10/31/06, Technomage <> wrote:

> I wish someone over there would hire me already!
> I put in the resume and filled out all the other paperwork a long time
> ago...
>
> ah well, time marches on.
>
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 10:12, Michael R. Crusoe wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > I was catching up on my PLUG mail the other day and I realized that I
> > haven't seen y'all in a while. Yep, working at Google has kept me
> > pretty busy -- but I can't complain: this is an exciting place!
> >
> > I thought you all might want to hear an update on the goings here at
> > the Google Phoenix office. We have fully moved into our spiffy new
> > Tempe digs, co-located with ASU. As a former student and former
> > employee of ASU living in Tempe, this makes my commute very
> > convenient! I'm especially grateful that we got our showers installed
> > -- that's one less excuse not to bike to work (my other reason to bike
> > to work? Our self-powered commuter reward program that recognizes
> > employees for walking, biking, running, or 'blading in to work with a
> > $1,000 donation to a non-profit of their choice).
> >
> > You may have seen some press about our official grand opening. I'm so
> > proud of this office! We've grown so much from our temporary space in
> > Phoenix to our new spacious digs in Tempe. We recently had a open
> > house for everyone else in our building: it was great to see the
> > reactions to the transformation our architect and contractors made!
> >
> > The only problem with this office? It isn't full yet! To help do that
> > we've posted a slew of job openings on our site:
> > http://www.google.com/jobs/phx
> >
> > Here are some Linux-oriented highlights:
> >
> > Software Engineer
> > Information / Network / Systems Security Engineer
> > Unix System and Applications Administrator / Corporate Reliability
> Engineer
> > Linux Systems Administrator
> > Database Administrator
> > Tech Writer
> > IT Field Technician
> >
> > And for all you managerial types:
> >
> > Internal Systems Engineering Manager
> > Technical Project Manager
> >
> > Feel free to mail me with your questions and I'll do my best to answer
> > them. I'm also available to review your resume and to submit it to our
> > recruiters.
> >
> > So what's next for us? Keep a lookout for Googlers around town: Tom
> > Limoncelli (who co-wrote the bestselling book on system
> > administration) and local telecom expert Stacy Bowdish (both Googlers)
> > will be speaking at next month's Phoenix Sysadm Days:
> > <http://lopsa.org/SysAdminDays-Phoenix> and those at the desert code
> > camp this last weekend may have seen Matt Alexander's BASH scripting
> > class or Maulik Shah's & June Tate-Gans's Google Maps class.
> >
> > See you all around (I'll be at the devel meeting this Thursday)
> >
> > --
> > Michael R. Crusoe
> > Corporate Reliability Engineer
> > Google Inc. / Phoenix

> [...]

I also sent in my resume
(text/html) just the way they said, and put the
exact stuff (city: Phoenix; and job: Software Engineer)
in the "Subj: " header, just the way they said,
and never heard back, - - (except for the automatic
robot reply, saying that they did get it.)
I even opened up a gmail mailbox [see "From:" header]
to avoid having to suffer the embarrassment of
sending them a message from a "Yahoo" mailbox.
In my case, I was able to find a job, as a Software Engineer,
somewhere else in town (although first, I did have an
out-of-town episode in Cedar Rapids, Iowa doing a
sub-contract gig). My present employer (Astronautics
Corp. of America) is doing "some" stuff with Linux,
so the fact that I took a class at GCC on Linux,
(and got the highest mark in the class on the final exam)
while I was "between jobs", was considered a 'plus'.
Maybe you should consider doing what I am
doing - (namely, find something else, but still keep
an ear to the ground, for openings at Google).
I tell ["almost"] all recruiters, that I am not [actively]
looking at this time - since I found something [else]
here in town. However, if a recruiter has a position
at Google, that might be a different story.
Just my 0.02, from
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ