Re: InstallFest (can anyone bring an extra LCD display)

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: InstallFest (can anyone bring an extra LCD display)
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:41:37PM -0700, Patrick C wrote:
> I would like to bring my machine over to the installfest to demonstrate
> SabayonLinux in all of its wobbly glory, but I don't have any LCD displays,
> and I'd appreciate it if someone could bring an extra LCD for me to show it
> off. If anyone is familiar with BSD, I'm also interested in getting that
> installed and learning how to use BSD ports, as that is what the
> Gentoo/SabayonLinux's Portage package management system is based off of.

I could help with BSD, but I can't make it today. :(

Ports was started by FreeBSD and then adopted by the other BSDs, and Gentoo.
While each ports system has slight differences they are *very* similar in
most regards.

I'm most familiar with OpenBSD, and the OpenBSD ports. OpenBSD's install
is text mode and *very* simple, as long as you know how you want to
divide up your disk. For a test/play system you could make one big root
partition (/) and bit for swap. If your main partition is Linux you can
easily use Grub (or whatever) to dual boot. The Installation Guide at:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

is a step-by-step walkthrough of the installation and covers all the
common questions. You can probably attempt it yourself and succeed, or
you could wait until I can help. If you do install it, I'll be happy to
answer questions as I can here, on the BSD mailing list, or private
email.

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |