Re: ubuntu wireless

Author: Nathan England
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ubuntu wireless

I am only dealing with networks that are visible. I believe this card does not
have driver support, though it is an orinoco gold card... oh well.

On Thursday 26 October 2006 17:07, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Yes, I remember now seeing some hardware having no support for that. There
> is also the consideration that some wireless networks do not broadcast
> their ssid (a good measure security wise) so even if a card could see the
> network it has no reference for it. Some software will show an unnamed
> network and others will not.
>
> On 10/26/06, der.hans <> wrote:
> > Am 26. Oct, 2006 schwätzte Nathan England so:
> >
> > the

> > > This card will not scan for networks. None show up in this
> > > configuration
> >
> > box,
> >
> > > nor on the command line. But if I type in the name manually as the
> > > essid
> >
> > it
> >
> > > works great. Some tools scan differently and show ssid names when other
> >
> > tools
> >
> > > won't so I wanted to try something else.
> > >
> > > iwlist eth1 scan returns an error. Any other ideas?
> >
> > Ah, that might be a card or driver limitation.
> >
> > A couple of my cards won't scan for networks because there is no support
> > for some thing that I've forgotten.
> >
> > kwifimanager is the aplication that reported whatever capability not
> > being available.
> >
> > ciao,
> >
> > der.hans
> > --
> > #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
> > #  Sysdamin Days Phoenix, 6-7 Nov, now with edu discount
> > https://LOPSA.org/
> > #  <allbery_b> wouldn't that be "shopping is hard, let's do math"?

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations