Re: How to make sure it's really gone?

Author: Technomage
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to make sure it's really gone?
badblocks is useful for this (someone else a long time ago posted a command
line for badblocks that would make data on the drive truly non-recoverable).

here's the command line I used:

badblocks -f -t random -p 30 -sv -w /dev/<device>

this command will take a very long time to run on any of the large >10 GB
drives BUT, it will insure that no usable data of any kind remains afterward
(even the NSA would have a heart attack on this).

my scenario for a full wipe involves this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<device> && dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/<device> &&
badblocks -f -t random -p 30 -sv -w /dev/<device>

that can be placed in a script and run as many times as you see fit. However,
with 30 passes in the badblocks in -w mode, you can pretty much be assured
that no data will exist afterward.

more comments?