Re: PPTP vs. SSL

Author: George Toft
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: PPTP vs. SSL
PPTP is a [controversial] VPN technology. SSL is a session encryption
technology. Apples and Oranges. I'm pretty sure they operate on
different OSI layers as well (PPTP on layer 3 and SSL on layer 5).

If you are looking for secure file transfer, I suggest scp (secure copy
using ssh) or rsync over ssh. I just set up a vpn that uses rsync to
copy backup files offsite. Works really well.

The only way I transfer files ad-hoc is using scp. Even in my own
network, I use scp since the syntax is just like cp and it's a whole lot
easier than FTP.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760