Re: Open Standards [WAS: Re: Playing OGM Files [WAS: Re: Fwd…

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Open Standards [WAS: Re: Playing OGM Files [WAS: Re: Fwd: Creative commons]]
But Dennis, the places we are having trouble playing it are on Linux and
using players like Totem Movie Player so it is hard to see why you blame it
on people pushing proprietary formats. Obviously I am not understanding
something about what you are saying.

On 10/16/06, Dennis Kibbe <> wrote:

> On Saturday 14 October 2006 16:37, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> > These [the difficulty of finding a player for OGM files] are the kinds
> of
> >things that drive folks away from FOSS
>
> Actually, I lay the blaim at the foot of the those that push proprietary
> formats as "standards". Both the OGG audio format and the OGM format are
> open standards that any vendor (M$, Real, Apple, etc.) could enable in
> their
> player *if* they wanted to. They don't, of course, for marketing
> reasons. I
> think this is the reason that some proprietary plays seems to update every
> other week to keep the format changing and to lock you in to the latest
> version and lock competitors out.
>
> Dennisk

and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss