But Dennis, the places we are having trouble playing it are on Linux and using players like Totem Movie Player so it is hard to see why you blame it on people pushing proprietary formats.  Obviously I am not understanding something about what you are saying.

On 10/16/06, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk@linuxquestions.net> wrote:
On Saturday 14 October 2006 16:37, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> These [the difficulty of finding a player for OGM files] are the kinds of
>things that drive folks away from FOSS

Actually, I lay the blaim at the foot of the those that push proprietary
formats as "standards".  Both the OGG audio format and the OGM format are
open standards that any vendor (M$, Real, Apple, etc.) could enable in their
player *if* they wanted to.  They don't, of course, for marketing reasons.  I
think this is the reason that some proprietary plays seems to update every
other week to keep the format changing and to lock you in to the latest
version and lock competitors out.

Dennisk

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss