Re: Conversions from "DOC" to "HTML"

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Conversions from "DOC" to "HTML"
Am 11. Oct, 2006 schwätzte Joshua Zeidner so:

moin moin,

> A very easy way to accomplish the basic functionality is to send the .DOC
> to yourself in Gmail and click 'View As HTML'. The converter works fairly
> well. It doesn't always handle graphics properly.

Which brings us back to your question on automating web browsing :).

ciao,

der.hans

> -jmz
>
> On 10/11/06, Craig White <> wrote:
>>
>> I have a lot of documents to convert from Microsoft 'doc' format to html
>>
>> I have found a number of tools to do that but it doesn't really clean
>> them up very well which means that I will have to do a lot of hand edits
>> which isn't so bad considering that I will undoubtedly have to do this
>> anyway to get a common css and common headers/footers, etc.
>>
>> If anyone has suggestions on best methods for the above, I would
>> appreciate it but thus far, I see little better than openoffice macros
>> which do this in bulk (conversions).
>>
>> More importantly though, there is a structure to the storage...
>>
>> Base (subdirectory)
>>   Section 1 (subdirectory)
>>     Section 1A (document)
>>     Section 1B (document)
>>   Section 2 (subdirectory)
>>     Section 2A (document)

>> etc. and I would love for some methodology to build a table of
>> contents/links to these documents automatically - and possibly even
>> output the end result (the whole enchilada) perhaps in PDF so that I
>> have other means to distribute this. I have seen many different
>> publications that get built this way and I don't know how they
>> accomplish this. Are there some open source tools that can do this?
>>
>> Craig

#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  If you don't think for yourself, others will think for you --
#  to their advantage.  -- Harold Gordon