Re: Conversions from "DOC" to "HTML"

+ (text/html)
Author: Joshua Zeidner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Conversions from "DOC" to "HTML"
Craig,

A very easy way to accomplish the basic functionality is to send the .DOC
to yourself in Gmail and click 'View As HTML'. The converter works fairly
well. It doesn't always handle graphics properly.

-jmz

On 10/11/06, Craig White <> wrote:

> I have a lot of documents to convert from Microsoft 'doc' format to html
>
> I have found a number of tools to do that but it doesn't really clean
> them up very well which means that I will have to do a lot of hand edits
> which isn't so bad considering that I will undoubtedly have to do this
> anyway to get a common css and common headers/footers, etc.
>
> If anyone has suggestions on best methods for the above, I would
> appreciate it but thus far, I see little better than openoffice macros
> which do this in bulk (conversions).
>
> More importantly though, there is a structure to the storage...
>
> Base (subdirectory)
>   Section 1 (subdirectory)
>     Section 1A (document)
>     Section 1B (document)
>   Section 2 (subdirectory)
>     Section 2A (document)

> etc. and I would love for some methodology to build a table of
> contents/links to these documents automatically - and possibly even
> output the end result (the whole enchilada) perhaps in PDF so that I
> have other means to distribute this. I have seen many different
> publications that get built this way and I don't know how they
> accomplish this. Are there some open source tools that can do this?
>
> Craig

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006