Re: SUSE 10.1 running slow

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SUSE 10.1 running slow
Dazed_75 wrote:
> I loaded 10.1 on a machine just to take a quick look and was dismayed by
> its lagginess. The machine is no great shakes to be sure but I was
> expecting better than I saw. The machine is only a 1.7 GHz Celeron but
> has a GB of memory and I was running only 1024x768 in the built-in Intel
> 845G. Shouldn't I expect this combo to run reasonably smoothly instead
> of having visible pauses for most actions (like bringing up a terminal
> or browser)?
>
> I am sure it would run decently on a decent machine and it seems to have
> a lot to like (and a few things to dislike too).

OpenSUSE 10.1 comes with the Beagle search engine enabled be default.
While useful, it periodically slurrps CPU and memory to scan around for
new data objects to index. It's pretty resource intensive at times.

Try this http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=21284 and see if
the system is happier.

Alan