Re: Just got an interesting project...

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: George Toft, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: Just got an interesting project...
I am not available for this
(also not qualified)...
but I would just like to suggest
that no matter how scientifically you
"shred" some data,
when someone enters a command
to delete a certain message,
you might want to also, periodically
(like, maybe daily or weekly)
copy the "mailbox"
(messages that have NOT been
deleted / shredded)
to a physically different drive,
and then do some kind of very thorough
erasure (like, the low-level formatting
type of thing -- maybe even also use some
strong magnets nearby... etc.)
and over-writing of the data on the old
media.
(or - - -maybe even physically shred the
metal and disk drive media surfaces)
(if you can afford to buy new ones
every so often)
Just a suggestion, because it sounds like
it is really important for the "ghost images"
of erstwhile e-mail messages, to never
fall in to the wrong hands.
--
Mike Schwartz