Re: Wireless adapter advice

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Huerta, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: Wireless adapter advice
On 10/1/06, Dennis Kibbe <> wrote:

> On Sunday 01 October 2006 08:05, Bart Garst wrote:
> > First off, I'm looking for an easy solution ;-)
> >
> > Can anyone tell me which 802.11g PCI adapter they've had success with?
> > I'm running debian sarge.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bart
>
> D-Link DWL-G520 works under SUSE.
>
> This site will tell you what works with ndiswrapper
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
>
> and this site has general info on wireless LAN.
>
> http://hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html
>
> Dennisk

I may not be able to add to this thread
hopefully even if my ignorance prevents me asking the
right questions, at least I will not "subtract"...

I am somewhat confused now;
My PCMCIA plug-in wifi card
(for a laptop PC with Ubuntu 6.06)
is a [Cisco] Linksys "Model No. WPC54G ver 3";
I tried to look that up, via a search engine,
and I think it says that it has this chipset:

* Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 802.11/g Wireless LAN
* pciid: 14e4:4318

...Does that sound right?
some others who have been helping me, have been able to
get it working "using" NDISwrapper;
but it is intermittent; - - it will run OK for a while,
and then maybe fail to "see" an AP next time I try it.
I think some recent replies here
in this forum
have stated, that with the newer kernels,
it may not be necessary to use NDISwrapper. "after all".
Any comments?
Maybe I should just resign myself, that I will have to attend
an install fest or something, in order to really get set.
But meanwhile, "any advice"
would be appreciated...
--
Mike Schwartz