Re: How to change Firefox file opening defaults?

Author: Josef Lowder
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to change Firefox file opening defaults?
.
== Steven Crandell wrote:
> I've had problems on several boxes where it fails
> to remember or silently overwrites my settings.
> Your settings probably live here:
> /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/somerandomchars/mimeTypes.rdf
> When I have had a problem with this, I blow this file away
> and let it firefox rewrite it with my new prefs.

I looked at this "mimeTypes.rdf" file, but didn't
see where or how I might fix anything there.

== Dennis wrote:
> File associations are handled by the Desktop (KDE or GNOME or Widows).
> In KDE look under KDE Control Center/KDE Components.
> You can change file associations there.

Thanks Dennis. I was not familiar with anything called the
"KDE Control Center" and had a bit of a time finding it,
but finally stumbled around and found it and eventually
figured out how to make the changes I wanted. All good now.

K > System > Configuration > KDE > Components > File Associations >
(Found "Filename pattern") pdf > application > pdf
(under "Application Preference Order" moved xpdf up [Apply]

Apparently doing that set 'xpdf' as the default.
Did the same thing to set .jpg files to open with 'kview'
as the default. So I'm all set up now.