Testing Mono's compatibility

Author: FoulDragon@aol.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Testing Mono's compatibility
So I'm told we need some form of .NET combatability for our FC4 server.

I fire up Yum and install the mono-complete package, but the resultant
install seems to be incredibly easy to break.

If I just put

<% dim variablename; %>

it has a fit.

Error message: /tmp/apache-temp-aspnet-0/bbce3785/87108.0.cs(61,13) : error
CS0246: The type or namespace name `dim' could not be found. Are you missing a
using directive or an assembly reference?

Forget about anything more complex for now.

Is Mono more difficult to install than a conventional ball of RPMs? Does it
need some post-install cleanup? Or is it just the .NET version of WINE,
setting up elaborate dreams then leaving you wanting when it actually comes to
compatibility? Or am I misinterpeting the "ASP.NET for complete fools who can't
understand why PHP isn't good enough" sites?