Re: Little regex help please - solved - I think

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Jeremy C. Reed, tickticker, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: Little regex help please - solved - I think
On 9/7/06, Jeremy C. Reed <> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, tickticker wrote:
>
> > i believe that the line:
> >
> > cd /home/virtual; find [a-z]*/Maildir/.Trash/cur -mtime +30
> >
> > gives me the list i need (#1 in your list) so that
> >
> > cd /home/virtual; find [a-z]*/Maildir/.Trash/cur -mtime +30 -exec rm {}
> \;
>
> The earlier example had /home/[a-z]*/ ... so you could/should have used
> /home/virtual/[a-z]*/Maildir/.Trash/cur
>
> > is the final solution
> >
> > Thanks for all your help!!! I really have to buy a regex book i
> suppose, and
> > I hear O'Reilly has a good one
>
> By the way, this is shell "globbing" not "regex".
>
> Maybe your system has glob(7) and/or glob(3) manual pages.
>
> Have fun!

a comment:
Just my 0.02

> Thanks for all your help!!! I really have to
> buy a regex book i suppose, [...]

nothing against (printed, on paper) books,
but there is probably "also" a lot of good info
out there on the web,
about topics such as regular expressions,
"and" about globbing too
In general, sometimes besides looking in your
own man pages (for a given distro),
you can also just include "man page"
or something like that
as part of your query, to a search engine;
((then I guess you would get generic info,
not necessarily specific to your distro...))
...just a comment, from:
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ