Re: How to install lilo to the MBR?

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: joe, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to install lilo to the MBR?
joe wrote:
> .
> Eric Shubes wrote:
>> Please post the contents of your lilo.conf file.
>
> Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>> It sounds a lot like your main system partition is mounted
>> incorrectly. All of these locations should be in /, not /mnt.
>> I'm guessing that you're either working with a strange setup
>> or you're trying something a little backwards.
>>
>> If you're trying to run entirely from the rescue CD, these should
>> all work correctly to install lilo in the MBR. If you're using the
>> rescue CD to boot your already-installed Linux, it sounds like the
>> fstab is perhaps a little bit off.
>
> The contents of my lilo.conf file is below. Also, I'm including
> an abbreviated report of the contents of fstab on both my desktop
> partition and the Knoppix CD fstab.
>
> I have an almost identical setup on both my desktop computer and
> on my laptop, except the desktop was a dual boot with win98 on hda1
> and the laptop has winXP on hda1. Everything was working perfectly
> on both before I tried to install Qwest DSL on the desktop system.
> Now the desktop is all screwed up, but the laptop still works fine.
>
> I have tried both the original Linux install CD rescue option to do
> what has been suggested ... and also a Knoppix 3.3 CD.
>
> Here is the contents of my lilo.conf which did work fine on my
> desktop computer before the Qwest DSL mess and which still works
> fine on my laptop:
>
> # File generated by DrakX/drakboot
> # WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file
>
> default="linux"
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> prompt
> nowarn
> timeout=100
> message=/boot/message
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label="linux"
>     root=/dev/hda6
>     initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>     append="resume=/dev/hda2"
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label="failsafe"
>     root=/dev/hda6
>     initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>     append="failsafe resume=/dev/hda2"
> other=/dev/hdb1
>     label="windows"
>     table=/dev/hdb
>     map-drive=0x80
>        to=0x81
>     map-drive=0x81
>        to=0x80
> image=/boot/win4lin
>     label="win4lin"
>     root=/dev/hda6
>     initrd=/boot/initrd-win4lin.img
>     append="resume=/dev/hda2"
> image=/boot/win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk
>     label="win4lin-2612-12"
>     root=/dev/hda6
>     initrd=/boot/initrd-win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk.img
>     append="resume=/dev/hda2"

> Since I can't cut and paste from the desktop to the laptop
> [...]

Ok, Joe. Let's try using the KISS approach as much as possible. ;)

Looks like you have two hard drives on your system, hda and hdb.
It'd be a good thing to determine what exactly is in each partition.

Here's what I can deduce:
hda1: linux undetermined
hda2: linux swap
hda3: linux undetermined
hda5: linux undetermined
hda6: linux /
hda7: linux undetermined
hda8: linux undetermined
hda9: linux undetermined
hdb1: windoze
hdb5: linux undetermined
hdb6: linux swap
hdb7: linux undetermined

Let's boot knoppix, and get to a command prompt. Then do:
# chroot /mnt/hda6
That should get '/' looking normal. Do a
# ls
and you should see the normal linux tree (bin, boot, etc, etc.)

Before trying to generate a new lilo.conf file, I see something in your
lilo.conf file that doesn't look right. According to the Linux Cookbook
(my only reference for lilo, as I use grub), the boot= statement should
point to a primary partition. Yours specifies simply a drive. That
doesn't explain why windows is booting though. Try to determine which
partition, hda1 or hda3, is your /boot partition. There should be some
vmlinuz-* files there. Change the boot= statement to point to the proper
partition (e.g. boot=hda1). Then re-run lilo (# lilo -v) (you need to do
this any time you change your lilo.conf file) and reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, rename your lilo.conf file to something safe
(e.g. lilo.conf.save), and generate a new lilo.conf file with
# liloconfig
You'll need to answer a few questions, and it will create a new
lilo.conf file. Then rerun lilo again and reboot.

Let us know how you make out.
--
-Eric 'shubes'