Re: ViewSonic VA2012wb

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: cparrish, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ViewSonic VA2012wb
Carl Parrish wrote:
> So I just got a ViewSonic VA2012wb from Costco (great price there)
> It took me longer than I want to admit to get it working so I want to
> post the important settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (at least in Fedora
> Core 5), for the achives
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "VA2012wSERIE"
>         DisplaySize  430        270
>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 94.0
>         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 Modes    "1680x1050" "1280x800"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

> DisplaySize seems to be the key setting. I don't know how much setting
> the others helped or not (since the monitor just didn't work at all
> until the DisplaySize was set) however with these settings everything
> seems to be working.

Thanks for this, Carl. I picked one up yesterday at Costco ($299).

I haven't tried it yet with my computer, but I figure I might want a
video card upgrade. My (relatively old) MB has onboard video (128-bit
2D/3D 100MHz AGP V2.0 compliant), and an AGP1 4X (AGP 2.0) slot. The MB
manual says the onboard video will support resolutions up to 1920x1440
Hi-colors, up to 2048x2048 texture size and virtual screen up to
4096x4096 with a maximum of 64M shared memory frame buffer. I don't know
what texture size or virtual screen means, but it appears that the
resolution would be adequate.

As I begin my quest, I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice or
recommendations.

TIA.

--
-Eric 'shubes'