Re: Change hostname etc.?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Re: Change hostname etc.? - Success!
Subject: Re: Change hostname etc.?
> ----
> You fail to provide any meaningful information about what you are
> logging into and a Windows AD would require kerberos which does take the
> hostname (and clock) into account.
>
> You probably have to do a little homework to know. Red Hat's kickstart
> works really well for this.

Thank you for the hint, Craig. And A LeDone. And Eric. And others.

I am authenticating against a Windows 2003 Server with Active Directory,
you are correct. I did go back and look at the setings and kerberos is
obviously involved too.

If (big if) I get the chance to work on this more today, this is my plan:
- Set the hostname to the original value so everything works right.
- Change the authentication to local, ie. disable Windows domain
authentication.
- Reboot. (Or maybe just logout and back in.)
- Change the hostname via YaST.
- Delete the Samba secrets file.
- Delete the ssh keys.
- Reboot. (Or maybe just logout and back in.) That should trigger new
host key generation when sshd restarts.
- Change the authentication back to Windows domain. Hopefully that should
trigger the creation of a new Samba secrets file and any other hostname
dependent stuff.

Maybe I am rebooting too much there. An amatuer admin like me does that
sometimes.

Then, I get to do this twice more with the other two machines.

Before I do this sort of thing again, I'll read up on the AutoYaST. That
sounds like what I should have done.

I'll report back how things went when I try it. Probably not today, though.

Alan