Re: Flame War! -- IMAP Servers

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: nathan, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Flame War! -- IMAP Servers
Nathan England wrote:

> The only real consideration is thousands of emails. Dovecot should be able to
> handle this no sweat, but with only a few users testing the system it choked.
> The machine for the time being is not state-of-the-art by any means, but has a
> 2.4GHZ p4 with HT turned off and 1 GB of ram. Our network is only 10/100 and
> we are not looking into upgrading the switches to 1GB any time soon.

Since you have HT turned off, I presume you're not running an SMP kernel.

This sounds like something's not working quite right but eventually
times out, creating large delays. I can think of two areas which might
exhibit this kind of behavior - DNS and database access. My first bet
would be database.

Are you using a database backend? FC5 uses MySQL5, which is different
enough from version 4 that it causes problems similar to yours with
vpopmail.

--
-Eric 'shubes'