Re: apache directory (not) listing

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: apache directory (not) listing
Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> I'm a newbie to apache and figure this must be a simple problem, but
> I've little enough hair. ;)
>
> I've set up a virtual host in httpd.conf:
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin
>     ServerName qmt.shubes.net
>     ServerAlias qmt.shubes.homeip.net
>     DocumentRoot /var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/docs
>     <Directory "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/docs">
>     Options +Indexes
>     AllowOverride All
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
>     </Directory>
>     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/cgi-bin/"
>     ErrorLog "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/logs/error_log"
>     CustomLog "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/logs/referer_log" referer
>     CustomLog "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/logs/agent_log" agent
>     CustomLog "/var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/logs/access_log" common
> </VirtualHost>

> Everything seems fine, as I can wget or browse files from the server.
>
> I'm trying to have apache generate a directory index, but I get the
> (dreaded?)
> "Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/vhosts/qmt.shubes.net/docs/"
> error message in the log.
>
> I've googled, and found
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2004/04/22/apacheckbk.html
> which seemed helpful, but I've checked everything there, and I'm still
> stuck.
>
> System is standard CentOS4.3, httpd-2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.
> After changing httpd.conf, I've done: # service httpd restart
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA

Several pages deep into google, I found something that said to delete
the welcome page. I went to /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf and commented
out the contents. Voila, I get an index list!

Apparently, when there's no index found, the welcome page is displayed
regardless of the Indexes option. It'd be nice to see the welcome page
only if Indexes is not specified. Oh well, I'll leave that to learn
another day.

Thanks to anyone who looked at this.

--
-Eric 'shubes'