Re: browser window bigger than screen

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: browser window bigger than screen
On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:34:48PM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> The browser window is O.K. if you're talking about it filling the monitor
> screen. The site display is larger than the browser window.

Here's a guess: morningstar.com is actually doing things the "right" way
and specifying things in units of "pt", "em", and such rather than pixel
sizes. This only works out well if you have X set up with the physical
monitor size, so it can know the real DPI.

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a high-res widescreen display,
and almost all web pages are too tiny to read (because they use pixel
sizes). Only correctly designed web sites are at all readable unless I
nudge up the font size in Firefox.

You may be able to select different monitors through a control panel,
which would adjust X's calculation of DPI.

Hope that helps.

Anyone else have ideas?

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |