Re: 56K Modem War Stories

Author: KE7FEG
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: 56K Modem War Stories
As I understand it, if it is a 'winmodem' internal ---
skip it. Internals need their own guts, not using the
cpu sharing thingy.

Externals don't share stuff with the OS soooo, they
just have the guts to run.

There ARE some internal modems that have the same guts
as the externals, USR has some. They are the
'expensive'er' models..around $50 and up, instead of
under $25 new.

I think it is USR's 'business class' courier modems
but don't quote me on internals...always used
externals/linux.

http://bestdata.com/index.php?file=c-all56k&iCategoryId=10

> George wrote:
> > I needing a good Linux friendly (Debian - Xandros)
> 56K modem. Any
> > good/bad stories (make model) I need to know
> about?
> >
> > TIA

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee's. Interested? http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.