Re: 56K Modem War Stories

Author: Scott
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: 56K Modem War Stories
USRobotics/3Com make the highest quality dialup modems on the market.
Just about anything else is susceptible to the dialup ping-of-death,
otherwise known as sending an ATH0+++ command through ping. Internal or
Externals are great, as long as they aren't 'winmodems' that require
special software installed in order to operate.

An extremely detailed overview of how to get a modem configured to work
in any flavor of linux can be found here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

Hope this helps,
-Scott