Re: sendmail

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: nathan, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: sendmail
On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 02:00:32PM -0700, Nathan England wrote:

> My sendmail is suddenly accepting email for everyone and anyone and I can't
> find any changes. It is set to accept mail for relay from 192.168.1 which is
> all my internal machines. No other relay is allowed, but all of a sudden it
> is accepting messages for aol and some others. Internal machines have been
> disconnected and it is still accepting from the outside world.
>
> How do I get sendmail to verify a valid user before accepting the message?
> Most of the messages it is accepting is for invalid users at my domain and
> then delivers them to root.
>
> I am probably going to switch to postfix because of this, but nonetheless I
> would like to know how to fix this. As sendmail is still used big time, I am
> sure there is a way around this, not just an easy fix of dumping it and going
> somewhere else.
>
> Any sendmail geniuses?

I'm no sendmail genius, but I know this shouldn't be happening. No
changes? Really?

As someone else suggested, check relay-domains. Also check virtusertable
to make sure you have no @domain.com entries. Anything like this would
be a config change. If you haven't made any config changes then check
anyway.

Also, there were a couple of sendmail security advisories lately. Make
sure you're up to date on those.

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |