Re: Lenovo will snub Linux in favor of MS

Author: Kevin
To: PLUG-DISCUSS
Subject: Re: Lenovo will snub Linux in favor of MS

On 6/5/06 10:05 PM, "Matt Alexander" <> wrote:
> Heh... Looks like Kevin changed their minds. ;-)
>
> http://news.com.com/Lenovo+denies+ditching+Linux/2100-1003_3-6080115.html

Following up on this... looks like it was a slip on the part of the Lenovo
Product Manager as the article states. I think this is good for F/OSS
because I have been very impressed with the quality of the IBM Thinkpad
hardware (hopefully that won't change under Lenovo).

To be fair, I am posting the official reply I received from Lenovo/IBM. I
won't mention that it took a full week to get the reply. Oops, forget that
part. ;-)

Here's their note:

---[SNIP]---
On 6/12/06 2:02 PM, "ERC Feedback" <> wrote:
> Thank you for contacting Lenovo, the makers of ThinkPad and ThinkCentre PC
> products.

> Lenovo maintains its commitment to Linux distributions and the Linux community
> at large. Through the independent testing and
> certification of ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and Lenovo 3000 product lines as well
> as the close collaboration with industry leaders
> such as ATI and Intel - Lenovo continues to take steps to ensure Linux can be
> deployed in a manner consistent with customer
> needs. In fact, over the coming months this commitment will be strengthened
> even further as new capabilities and support emerge.
>
> In addition, as part of a continued close partnership with IBM, a host of
> offerings are available to assist customers in the
> assessment, testing, deployment and support of Linux distributions.
>
> For more information and a listing of Linux distributions certified on Lenovo
> hardware, please visit: http://www.lenovo.com/linux
> <http://www.lenovo.com/linux>
>
> Thank you for visiting our site and contacting Lenovo.
>
> Regards,
> Electronic Response Center
> ERC Feedback Focal
> IBM.com, Americas