RE: 386 vs 686 kernels

Author: Wagner, Steven G
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: 386 vs 686 kernels
>Stephen: Heh, I am having quite a time learning the "easier" distros.
>I thought about Gentoo but suspect I am not ready for that learning
>curve. A weekend? HAH - for me it would more likely be months at
>least. Maybe one day though I would have the confidence to try it on
>a spare machine. Right now I could not spare the time.

I like Gentoo for a lot of reasons; security, customization, power, etc. But
the thing that still impresses me the most is portage, the ports-based
package manager. Gotta give it up to the BSD-people, I love portage!

What does Ubuntu use? Iirc, it's Debian-based so I would suppose it uses
apt-get. Does Ubuntu add a lot of features to Debian or just ease the
installation somewhat? I had tried Ubuntu once, but couldn't understand what
all the buzz was about (google, etc.) I had thought I would rather just
install Debian; am I missing some great features that Ubuntu has over
Debian?

I'm still wondering why Ubuntu? The live cd didn't strike me as very useful,
I would hope the full install comes with many more applications/features.
I'm not knocking Ubuntu, I assume I just may have missed something
interesting about it. Since the live cd didn't configure the touchpad on my
laptop I wasn't impressed with the hardware support. Struck me that
Kanotix/Knoppix were more useful Debian-derived live cds.

I've found opensuse 10.1 to be very nice; lots of features and services,
great installer, and very stable (though kind of slow to boot.) Not sure if
they have a live cd out yet, but I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a nice
balance of easy installation to robustness. In the last release I had to add
third-party repository servers to get the apps I wanted, but with this 10.1
release I've so far found everything I wanted without having to do that.
Also, in this release the hibernate feature works whereas the previous
version hung when I tried to wake from sleep.

Have a good one,