Re: Small Linux boxes?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Small Linux boxes?
Kevin wrote:
> I am looking for some hardware suggestions for my next project.
>
> BACKGROUND
> I have a Squid/Dansguardian setup for my kids that has worked flawlessly for
> several years. It ran on Gentoo and now it runs on Debian. It includes a
> web-based Apache/PHP front-end that I wrote myself.
>
> My friends and family (non-geeks) with youngsters are interested in
> duplicating my setup. I would like to take this evolved collection of hacks
> and package it into a single image that could be dropped onto a similar
> dual-nic box.
>

> SUGGESTIONS?
> Here's where I need suggestions. I'm not interested in family tech support
> on a bunch of old clunker PC's (like my setup). I would rather package the
> software "solution" onto a small headless Linux box they can just plug into
> their cable modems. I have priced out a mini-ITX box with dual-nics and VIA
> EPIA processor. I'm approaching the $500+ range. A bit too pricey for my
> friends/family.
>
> Any other suggestions? Or, maybe mini-ITX is the way to go and you can
> suggest a cost-effective wholesaler or something?

Nice project to do your loved ones!

I recently priced out some "shuttle" computers for a project at work. I
can't find the model number right now since I am not at work. It was a
little case with the motherboard for $159 at Fry's. Throw in a basic
Celeron CPU, 256MB RAM, a PCI NIC for the second port and a $60 hard
drive leaves you set for around $350. (For a home filtering firewall,
you could decrease the RAM to save a few bucks.)

Probably not the cheapest option but one that popped in my head just now.

Alan