Re: Linux PDA's???

Author: Empty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux PDA's???
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Do any of the Zaurus, Palm Zire or Nokia PDAs have SMS and internet data
> capability?

I have a Treo 650 (caveat: the 700s no longer run Palm). It runs PalmOS
5, has a removable battery and SDRam slot, and has sms and internet
access. It also has a QWERTY keyboard built in, no moving parts (a BIG
requirement in a phone for me) and a camera built in. It syncs fine with
jPilot on my IBM T42 laptop, with the caveat that IRDA and USB devices
don't actually "exist" to Linux until they send data, so you have to hit
HotSync on the device and wait a second or two before hitting the Sync
button on the software. Serial does not have that problem.

I love my Treo dearly- PDAs are great but for me they take up valuable
pocket space and combining the cell phone and PDA removes that
consideration.

~Ben

---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.
For you, it would just be a really long boast."
    -Tara
http://www.emptiedout.com