Re: changing key behavior

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: changing key behavior
Alex Dean wrote:
> I'm not sure what I did, but I've apparently changed a setting one of
> my Debian machines which is making it difficult to edit text.
>
> - vi : In insert mode, I cannot use backspace to erase any existing
> text. I can erase what I have typed during my current insert, but the
> erased characters do not actually disappear until I have either typed
> something else over them, or I have switched to command mode. (Before
> this change, backspace worked to delete any text in the document, and
> the deleted characters disappeared immediately.) Any text that was in
> the document before I started my insert cannot be altered via
> backspace. I have to go to command mode and press x to delete anything.
> - pico : backspace deletes what is to the right of the cursor, not
> what is to the left as it used to do.
> - from a shell : backspace works as expected.
>
> These symptoms are system-wide. The affect emote (ssh) and local
> logins for all user accounts. What could be the cause of this?
>
> thanks,
> alex
> .

I really don't know.

That being said, does this happen with non-x terminals (ctl-alt-f1)
(ctl-alt-f2) etc., or just terminals under X? If only xterms are
affected, I'd look into the x config. If non-x terms are screwy too, I'd
look into mingetty, but I really don't know how that works (especially
on Debian).

That's not much help, I'm afraid. Good luck, and let us know what you
find out.

--
-Eric 'shubes'