Re: Force user logout?

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Force user logout?
On Feb 19, 2006, at 7:22 AM, Alan Dayley wrote:
>> If you want the processes to actually perform a logout procedure and
>> your son is running KDE, then try this:
>>
>> # dcop --all-sessions --all-users ksmserver ksmserver logout 0 2 0
>
> OK, this appears to have worked well except that it resulted in a
> shutdown of the the system. This is not bad, I was just originally
> looking for a way to logout but not shutdown. I'll go investigate
> dcop
> commands.

Oops, I thought that that was your intent. You said, and I quote: "I
want to force the user to logout so the machine can cleanly
shutdown." My bad for not giving a full description of what is
going to happen. :-)

Basically, there are three options to logout. The first is
effectively a boolean like 'ask_for_confirmation' where 0 means don't
ask and 1 (or any positive, actually) means to ask. The second
option is based off of KApplication::ShutdownType. 0 = logout, 1 =
reboot, 2 = shutdown. I don't remember exactly what the third
parameter is for. I've never used it. I think it has to do with how
much interaction you allow the user during the logout process... but
I could be wrong.

So, some possibilities:

ksmserver logout 1 0 0 => start a logout but allow the user to
cancel it ("Are you sure?")
ksmserver logout 0 0 0 => logout immediately
ksmserver logout 1 1 0 => start a reboot but allow the user to cancel
ksmserver logout 0 2 0 => shutdown immediately

The latter two require that the KDE session has started via KDM (or
possibly gdm). If it's started by 'startx', then only the logout
option works.

Kurt