Re: Linux Laptop

Author: Josh Coffman
To: cparrish, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux Laptop

--- Carl Parrish <> wrote:

> Austin Godber wrote:
>
> >I have installed FC3 on a IBM T42. Getting the
> internal wireless
> >working was pretty simple. I think I found step by
> step instructions on
> >the web somewhere. It should be equally simple on
> FC4.
> >

> Thanks for responding. Yeah I'll be trying FC4 just
> because that's what
> I use. I hear a lot of newbies prefer KDE but I
> don't know it well
> enough to support it.

personally, i prefer KDE, but just switched back to
using Gnome on the laptop for one very simple reason:
Network Manager. It's a Gnome app the really
simplifies network/wireless connectivity.

> >However, I have also installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a
> Sony with a similar
> >wireless card (ipw2100, my T42 had the ipw2200) and
> the wireless worked
> >on install. Nothing to do. It just worked.
> >

> I have a copy of Ubuntu (not sure what version) here
> somewhere perhaps
> I'll test with that first.

If it comes down to about equal between FC and Ubuntu,
go with FC since you're more familiar and will be
supporting her.

> >I would recommend Ubuntu or second FC4. Once you
> have that installed,
> >have her try Gaim, log in with her existing screen
> name and try it out.
> > She should see her existing contact list.
> Actually, it sounds to me
> >like she is using AOL as her dialup. There are
> (were) projects that
> >allowed you to do this from Linux, but I have never
> used them so best of
> >luck to you.
> >

> I forgot to add that she's been using gaim for
> instant msgs as well
> (though I think she often had both aim and gaim open
> at the same time).
>
> >    As far as ssh access, it really depends on how she
> connects to the
> >internet.  If she is going to get broadband, I
> would pick up a hardware
> >router/wireless AP while she is in town and
> configure it with her laptop
> >... reserve IPs for her MAC addresses (wired and
> wireless), set up port
> >forwarding to port 22 on the router to those
> internal IPs (10022 ->
> >IP1:22, 20022 -> IP2:22).  This way you can just
> ask her if she is
> >connected to the wired or wireless and then know
> which port to connect
> >to (if you remeber the mapping).  And just make
> sure that you have the
> >machine configured to start sshd on startup.
> (Ubuntu by default doesn't
> >install sshd, so "apt-get install openssh-server"
> package).

> >Good luck
> >Austin
> >

> Would her IP always be the same on a laptop?

Shin zen ni rei
-j
Registered Linux user number 403109
http://counter.li.org/