Re: Linux Distro Chooser

Author: Josef Lowder
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Re: Mandriva problems (was: Linux Distro Chooser)
Subject: Re: Linux Distro Chooser

I'm glad to hear that everything works for you guys.
I am having a horrendous time trying to get everything
to work on my new Mandriva 2006 install. I do believe
that it has the potential to be excellent, but there are many
really annoying issues.

#1 - it is painfully slow on my dialup internet connections,
    as much as three to four times slower than the way
    my old Mandrake 8.1 system works and a Knoppix
    liveCD works 2 to 3 times faster than my old 8.1 box.
    So, I know that I should be having improved speed,
    not this horrendously slow speed.

#2 - The Kwallet thing is driving me nuts and I can't find
    any way to edit or modify it (or kill it).

#3. I can't access my other partitions from the Mandriva
    boot.  I also have Mepis and Xandros installed and
    with either of them or with the Knoppix LiveCD, I can
    access all the other partitions on my system, but
    with this new Mandriva 2006 installation, none of the
    other partitions show up in /mnt and I can't find any
    way to mount them.

Lots of other annoying problems, i.e. with the new Kmail,
and various other things. Nuisance icons in Kmail and other
apps that I can't get rid of.