Re: How to fix /boot/grub/menu.lst - still

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list, joe
Subject: Re: How to fix /boot/grub/menu.lst - still
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 00:31 -0500, joe wrote:
> Sorry for not reporting back more promptly.
> Needed to spend a bit of evening time with my bride ;))
> Regrettably, the 'mkinitrd initrd-win4lin ...' command
> did not work (and I got called to dinner, so was not
> able to report that result).
>
> I had simultaneously sent an inquiry with all the details
> to so I'll be checking with them first
> thing in the morning and I certainly will report whatever
> I eventually find to be the solution.
>
> In fact, I definitely do plan to prepare a detailed "how-to"
> covering all aspects of this installation as soon as I get
> everything to work correctly.
>
> At least, I can confirm that I have gotten Mandriva 2006
> (the "free" version) installed on two systems, so I offer
> this comment as encouragement to Mike, the other Plugger
> currently inquiring about this. I wish I could offer
> some help, but I have notes scattered all over dozens
> of handwritten and printed pages as I've been working on
> this for more than two weeks and still have a ways to go.
> It just shouldn't be this difficult, but sadly, it seems
> to be. Most of the obstacles turn out to be easy to fix,
> but regrettably, I was unable to find a concise, complete,
> step-by-step how-to that covered all (or even most) of
> the bases. What a shame.

----
you should probably check to make sure that...

1 - there is an initrd for the win4lin in the /boot directory for
mandriva

2 - that the name of the initrd matches the name of the initrd called
for in the grub.lst

3 - that your win4lin is a properly installed kernel...

ls -ld /lib/modules/win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk # that it actually exists
and
rpm -qa|grep win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk # that the kernel actually exists

Craig