Re: OT: new car advice

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: new car advice
Coming into this discussion late, with a few thoughts not directly
related to your car list.

A financial advisor once told me that making new-car payments for
years was the single worst thing someone could do if they wanted to
build their family's financial prosperity. He recommended getting a
good-quality used car, paying cash for it and never make monthly
payments.

Of course, a good, reliable used car might not come cheap and you
might not have that kind of cash on hand, but it's something to
consider.

You can often find great deals on older, big luxury cars with a single
owner. They've usually been well-cared for. Nobody wants to buy them
because they're looking for more fuel-efficient little cars so you
can get them for a steal. I prefer big old cars because they're much
safer if I get into an accident. I drive an '86 Crown Victoria with
almost 200,000 miles on it, get 20 mpg and have been in 2 accidents
that would have totalled a little car, but barely made a dent in
mine. Aside from an oil drip and needing cosmetic work, it's a great
car! The bluebook value is about $300.

When it comes time to buy another car I'm going to get a diesel. The
engines are simpler to work on, have fewer parts to break and best of
all, they can run on vegetable oil AKA biodiesel fuel. Think about
it: the next time there's either a real or fabricated energy
shortage, you can fill your tank with vegetable oil and not be
dependent on foreign oil.

Biodiesel fuel emits no carcinogens or pollutants whatsoever. If you
really want to drive cheaply, you can get barrels of used frying oil
from restaurants and filter it yourself. Otherwise, bulk cooking oil
from Sam's or Costco is very inexpensive.

Go ahead and laugh at me now.

Siri Amrit