Not the way to do tech support . . .

Author: Mark Jarvis
To: plug
Subject: Not the way to do tech support . . .

(From an MCCCD mail list:)

Dear Colleague:

If you work for MCCD and have ever mowed a blade of grass, installed a
microphone, cleaned a toilet, painted a hallway, or written a parking
ticket, please read on.

Last Friday I attended this year's Communication Articulation Task Force
held at The University of Arizona in Tucson. We like to do this event
up big so Michael Dues (former Department Head at U. of A.) invited Jack
Jewett (member of the Arizona Board of Trustees and a true Arizona "big
shot") to be the Keynote Speaker. Our audience included department
heads from all the universities, the Deans of Arts and Sciences, and the
Dean for the new Hugh Downs School of Communication at ASU's Tempe
campus, and--oh yes--a few humble community college folks like myself.
Well, in the middle of Jewett's presentation I hear one of my university
colleagues in the back of the auditorium talking to a person, saying
something like, "You can't do this, please don't do this." With that,
the person (one of their technology support people)comes down to the
front of the auditorium and asks Jack Jewett, who is mid-sentence, to
move as he has to install a microphone and a laptop for the powerpoint
to be used later in the program. The U. of A. Department Head throws
his hands in the air and exclaims, "What are you doing?" The gentleman,
who has now clearly stolen the show away from Jewett, casually replies,
"Setting up a microphone and a computer," looking at my friend Dues with
a "can't you see?" expression. Dues fires back, "This is a Member of
the Board of Regents, why are you doing this?" The campus employee
calmly replies, "Hey, I'm out of here at 5:00." At this point I've
fallen out of my chair, I'm laughing so hard. I mean tears are coming
out of my eyes and down my cheeks as this well intentioned time
conscious technician has brought this august gathering of scholars to
its knees. Jewett, bless his heart, maintains his composure--something
he learned from his ten years in the legislature--throughout the 6-7
minute interruption and finally once again takes control of the lectern
where he finishes his sentence and a very interesting talk.

<snip>

Thank you!

Your colleague,

(Name deleted)